Online identity for your blog/website is one of the most talkative topic on internet, and I certainly think it is worth to discuss its importance; so that new bloggers do not commit mistakes that have already done by existing ones.
Generally, whenever anyone starts Blogging, at first he looks for a blogging site where there is less or no investment, most of them start using Google’s BlogSpot.com or WordPress.com. Not only it is free but also away from managing hosting and the other hassles.
Quick quiz : -
- Q1. Does it make sense to invest your time to a blog that has a generic domain name?
- Q2. Is domain name maintaining is really a hassle and costly?
Custom domain name is a basic need if you’re serious about your online entity, it’s where you’ll direct all your potential customers. To achieve a high customer rating and traffic to your website. You’ve to make a good impression in the first go. Having your own domain name, rather than some free site address that’s long and cumbersome will allow you to get high inward traffic.
Let’s discuss the importance of Custom Domain Name with a small example:
Generally folks start blogging with the Google blogger, but after some time, as a matter of fact when their blog is quite developed with several posts and certain traffic. A blogger starts feeling to migrate its free domain name to customized domain and gets seriously upset due to :
- Domain Name not available: Many times people don’t get a domain name of their choice because someone else would already have registered it. Then you need to work on re-branding again from zero.
- Unsatisfactory Traffic:They are not seeing the traffic they want to see on their free hosting site.
- Lose traffic: People feel very difficult to move from BlogSpot to any other domain name because they are afraid of losing whatever traffic they have cultivated till date.
- Page Rank: With the new domain name your old Alexa rank and page rank will no longer be continue will start again from zero.
- Delay in Indexing: Search engines would not index your newly added custom domain name for some time.
- Splitting of traffic: If you have not closed your previous website/blog and started the new one your subscribers would split into two groups.
- Google analytics : Are you having accounts with Google analytics and webmaster tools then you need to update them too. Though, you can always use old analytic codes in the new domain name, but as a Webmaster, I would not prefer to see the stats of new domain under old name.
- Site maps: you need to submit sitemap to all search engines again.
- Updating the links: Need to update your website/blog address in all social networking sites and all profiles, where you have listed your Domain name.
Choosing a domain name early stage have many benefits:
- It’s Permanent: - You can keep Custom domain name forever, On the other hand services such as Google Blogger can deactivate your blog at any time without notice.
- More Traffic: -Search engines prefer custom web domains over subdomains like blogspot.com, blogspot.in or WordPress.com.
- Your Brand:- Your Domain name will maintain your brand to your public and customers.
- Google Adsense Account : -Your Custom domain can also increase your chances of getting an approval for your Adsense account.
- Name Recognition. It’s much easier to remember and locate a domain name such as dhost.com than dhost.blogspot.com.
- Custom Email. You can get your own custom email (eg: rohan@YourBlog.com). It looks very professional.You can have your email like firstname.lastname@example.org rather than gmail or yahoo. DHost provide free email Accounts.
- Selling Rights. Subdomain blogs, such as Blogspot, do not allow you to sell your blog. With your own custom domain name you have the right to sell your website if you choose to do so one day.
- It’s Cheap: DHost makes it very affordable and hassle free registeration and management of domain names.
- Promote your own brand. If your site is a subdomain (such as .blogspot.com) you’re promoting Google Blogger. Get your own domain name and you’ll be promoting your own unique brand. It gives you credibility and more people will trust you and what you have to offer. Maintain your brand name from day one.
How to choose a custom domain ?
Refer to my earlier post related to domain name tips:
Your Domain Name is the Projection of your Internet identity. The Name of your website sketches your business in the mind of a person you refer your website; also you want that sketch to be influential. Specially, for an online business it’s true that first impression is the most important impression. So are you rolling with the efficacious Domain name or want one? Believe me your domain name makes a difference in your online presence.
DHost Offers Quick Check List to Search Domain Names: -
- Keep it Short and Simple: – Easy to spell, type and remember. Words that are commonly misspelled or confusing must be avoided.
- DOT what: - Well! for that I prefer you must have .Com as your parent site, otherwise there are many extensions available for instance .In , .CA, .Co.in and so on.
- Domain Name Tools: - There are countless Domain name Tools that are offered by online websites Free Of cost On the internet. However, my favorites are: nametumbler.com, domainsbot.com, domaintools.com, bustaname.com, panabee.com. Anyone can utilize them.
- Register Your Domain Now: – Domain names are being snatched up faster. Just get out there and register before you lose the opportunity to get the name you really want.
- More than One Domain names: - Sometimes, it’s good to register several similar domain names: You can register your full company name and a shorter, easier to remember version. Some people even register common misspellings of their company’s name. (You don’t need a separate Web page for each. Several domains can point to the same Web site). So that no one else takes it.
- Ask Around: - When you have settled on several available name choices, see what your friends and clients have to say. A name that may make perfect sense to you may be hard for others. Ask them: Is your domain easy to say? Is it hard to spell? Is your domain easy to pronounce and type? Do you have to explain why you chose the name?
- Meaningful: Choosing a domain name that suggests the nature of your product, service or company name.
- Create and Fulfill Expectations: When someone hears about your domain name first time, they should be able to instantly guess at the type of content that might be found on your page. For Instance: Hotmail.com, CareerBuilder.com, FirstNaukari.com and so on. However, Domains like Amazon.com, Google.com and the like. Require far more branding because of their un-intuitive names.
- Eliminate usage of Hyphens and Numbers: Both hyphens and numbers make it hard to give your domain name verbally. I’d suggest not using spelled-out or Roman numerals in domains, as both can be confusing and mistaken for the other.
- Keywords: - They play an important role in a Domain Name. Good keywords in the domain assist in ranking higher in the search engine. Possibilities of keywords are increasing, so use your creativity and get a keyword in the domain.
How to Check If a Domain Name Is Available
Whois lookup: – WHOIS (pronounced as the phrase who is) is a query and response protocol that is widely used for querying databases that store the registered users or assignees of an Internet resource, such as a domain name, an IP address. For Whois look up please visit our web page http://www.dhost.com/dbrain/domainchecker.php.